- Honesdale Borough - http://honesdaleborough.com -
Posted By Admin On May 25, 2010 @ 2:16 pm In | Comments Disabled
958 Main Street
Honesdale PA 18431
Email: hdleboro 
“This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.”
Honesdale, originally known as “Dyberry Forks,” was the terminus of the D&H Canal which ran 108 miles to Rondout, New York. It was used to carry coal from the coal fields to the market in New York City, New York.
Honesdale was named for Philip Hone, the first president of the D&H Canal Company. The borough was incorporated January 28, 1831.
On August 8, 1829, with engineer Horatio Allen at the throttle, a locomotive purchased from England and called the “Stourbridge Lion” became the first locomotive to turn a wheel on a commercial track in the western hemisphere. A working full-sized model of the Lion was built in 1932 for the Chicago Century of Progress and is currently on display at the Wayne County Historical Society in Honesdale.
Article printed from Honesdale Borough: http://honesdaleborough.com
URL to article: http://honesdaleborough.com/
URLs in this post:
 hdleboro: http://www.somethinkodd.com/emailshroud/emailaddress.php?domainName=choiceonemail.com&userName=hdleboro&ver=2.2.0
Copyright © 2010 Honesdale Borough. All rights reserved.